Sunday, September 22, 2013

Back Again

You were gone for so long
but now and then you come back.
As if taking my happiness in the past wasn't enough,
you've come to try to poach it away again.

But my heart no longer belongs to you
and the clever tricks & games you play have no effect on me anymore.
You come back to fill your own emptiness, the one that exists in you now.

But I cannot validate you anymore.
The time for that has passed.
I cannot provide the redemption you seek to atone for the sins of your past.
You come back to me to reassure yourself, to soothe your guilty heart.
But I am not your panacea for the wounds you have inflicted on yourself.

I have already given you the forgiveness you needed and I have moved on.
The cure for your guilt,
the thoughts that gnaw @ your bones,
is not found in me,
is not found in my words.

You come back time & time again,
to see if I am still here.
But I haven't been here in a long time.
You cannot find your salvation in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment